Saadani National Park Safari (3 Days/2 Nights)
All safari profits are used for Art in Tanzania community programs in Tanzania. 2015 -2017 our main focus is the Children's Agenda Progam we run in coalition with UNICEF, Save the Children and other NGOs. This includes the Mama Mkubwa Project building up a village community center in Madale village in Dar es Salaam. This program focuses on Children and Women. It also includes neonatal medical and health services.
Saadani National Park is just 2 hours North of Dar es Salaam and situated on the coast of Tanga, an ideal place to combine relaxation on the beach and wildlife watching.
Saadani is the only national park combining marine, terrestrial and fresh water ecosystems. Park was established 2005 when former Saadani Game Reserve, Zaraninge Forest and Mkwaja Cattle Ranch where combined into a national park.
Departure: Dar es Salaam
Start dates: Please contact us. If you are 2 you can go at any time
Duration: 2 nights / 3 days with boating safari at the last day
Meals: see itinerary
Accommodation: Lodge at the beach
Price: Adults USD 650 per person, Children 5 - 15 years USD 450, less than 5 years old USD 150
Important add on options:
Accommodation before and after the safari in Art in Tanzania volunteers hostel USD 30 per night with breakfast and dinner.
For hotel stay please contact us to get the options
Airport transfers to and from Dar es Salaam airport one way USD 50
Please contact us for other add on program to tailor your safari trip
Day 1: Dar es Salaam / Saadani/Mkwaja (B/L/D)
• After having breakfast at the Bahari Beach volunteer house, the car departs about 8–9am to make the 2-4 hour journey to Saadani National Park.
• You will arrive to Wami gate, visit the Seasalt village and see the greater and lesser flamingoes. In the village warthogs live in harmony with the villagers and domestic animals.
• After some game driving, you'll arrive to the 8km protected beach in Saadani near Madete gate. You can enjoy your box lunch sunbathing and swimming in the sea.
• After the beach your driver will take you to the Mkwaja village to your accommodation and dinner*.
Day 2: Saadani (B/L/-)
• After breakfast at the lodge, the car departs for the game drive in the park for the morning.
• The route within the park varies during the dry and wet seasons.
• After game drive you'll return to Mkwaja Beach Lodge for lunch*.
• In the afternoon a visit to local community is arranged and you also learn about uses of local editable and medicinal plants like Moringa, Rosella, aloe vera, sea weeds etc.
• Dinner* and accommodation at the Mkwaja Beach Lodge
Day 3: Saadani (B/L/D)
• After breakfast at the lodge, you have a chance to see the hippoes in the hippoe-pool
• You have another chance to do game drive in the park or do a boat safari on the river to see more hippoes, crocodiles and some of the 220 bird species in Saadani.
• Enjoy box lunch
• After lunch your driver will drive you back to Dar es Salaam. On your way back you can visit the Mapinga Snake Park and see local snakes and other reptiles.
This safari returns to Dar, so you need to make travel plans if you are not staying.
• Closest park to Dar es Salaam
• Beautiful white sand beach
• Boat cruise option
• During turtle nesting and hatching season you may have a great chance to see baby turtles leave the beach for the sea. Check for the hatching dates, if this is your main interest.
Animals: Giraffe, zebra, hippo, elephant, waterbuck, reedbuck, hartebeest, wildebeest, lion, crocodile, flamingo, warthog, sea turtle