Veterinary Services & Animal Care Tanzania
Program: TanVet Tanzania is a community Veterinary Clinic focusing on common public small animal health care. TanVet is a practical training clinic for the Tanzanian and Western veterinary school or animal technician students for their internship programs. The purpose of these internships is to give the western students view of the emerging veterinary practices in a developing country as Tanzania. The Tanzanian interns will have opportunities to exchange ideas with the western students.
The TanVet program is also a base for to extend other fields as for wild animal care, large animal husbandry, food hygiene, animal conservation (as on-going sea turtle conservation program) and other aspects in the veterinary field.
TanVet program also welcomes volunteers who love to work with animals and animal care or to get experience of veterinary work for their possible future animal care related studies.
Practical daily operations: TanVet clinic provides the following daily outputs
- In and out patient care for household pets
- Export & Import license service including vaccination certificates
- ·Pet washing services including tick control procedures
- Pet care shop
- Wild animal treatment serves specifically focusing on endangered animals
- ·Quarantine services
- Community veterinary & Food Hygiene info center
The TanVet clinic provides the following services
- Preventive health care and wellness services
- Micro chipping
- Health checks
- Pet owner education
- Grooming services
- Tick control
- Reproductive health care
- Internal medicine
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Neutering and spaying
- Soft-tissue surgery
- Oral and dental care
- Diagnostic services
- In-house laboratory (blood, feces, urine, skin
- Euthanized patients need to be either be buried by the owner or cremated. The clinic provides crematory services.
Pet owners would have an opportunity to join a “TanVet owners club” with monthly meetings arranged at the clinic. Veterinarians would give short lectures on different topics and issues concerning pets and animal welfare could be discussed. Pet shows (Match show) and puppy schooling could be arranged for members.
- Veterinary students
- Animal Care Technicians and similar
- Animal Care Technicians
- Non-professional volunteers who love animal care and who wish to learn of animal care and medical work.